My Photo
Name:
Location: Western, New York, United States

I spend most of my free time gardening, reading garden magazines, photographing the garden or baking (mostly sweets, which list chocolate as the main ingredient). I play the guitar and sing in a contemporary choir of which I have been a member for 26 years.

Sunday, August 27, 2006

Hummingbird Hawk Moth


As I was taking a walk through the garden I noticed this strange thing buzzing around the butterfly bush. I just stood there watching it and called Dave to come quick to look (Good Grief, will someone please explain hurry to this man). It flew away as he was approaching so he didn't see it. I kept going back to that bush in hopes that this thing would reappear and it did so I ran for the camera and here it is. After doing a small amount of research I found this little thing is from the Sphynx Moth Family. It is called by many names, some of which are: Hummingbird Hawk Moth; Hawk Moth; Sphynx Moth. I like Hummingbird Hawk Moth. If you've never seen one before, they buzz around like a bee but hover and feed like a hummingbird. Hummers will not usually allow you to get to close but I was about 18 inches away from this Hawk Moth and my closeness didn't seem to bother it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Pati said...

Come as often as you like aerdna :).

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home