My Photo
Name:
Location: Western, New York, United States

I spend most of my free time gardening, reading garden magazines, photographing the garden or baking (mostly sweets, which list chocolate as the main ingredient). I play the guitar and sing in a contemporary choir of which I have been a member for 26 years.

Friday, January 09, 2015

Blueberry Marmalade Recipe


One jar down . . . I have never been much of a Blueberry fan.  Yes, I like blueberry muffins.  I don't mind blueberry topping on pancakes and on occasion I've enjoyed eating them fresh but they would not be my favorite fruit choice.  However my sister recently came into a few bags of frozen blueberries and asked me if I wanted some.  I said sure.  I thought I was going to get a 16 oz. bag which I would whip up into some nice warm morning muffins.  Turns out it was more like a 32 oz. bag.  So now I'm wondering what I'm going to do with all these blueberries.  I can't turn them all into muffins.  Since I have been in the jelly/marmalade mode, I do some research and find a blueberry marmalade recipe that I think I can handle.  This recipe is a modified version of what I found on Flamingo Musings which was also modified from Preserving the Taste by EdonWaycott.

I have several lemons growing on my lemon bush (which you can see in my previous posting) and just purchased some clementines so I'm good to go.  They say that citrus fruits and blueberries have their own pectin so no need to purchase pectin as with some jams and jellies.  The recipe suggests using a mandolin to slice the lemon and orange.  I recall my Aunt Marge (God rest her soul) giving me a mandolin a few years back which I have never used.  I actually thought of donating it at one time and couldn't remember if I actually did.  So I go in search of the gift from my aunt hoping I still have it.  Yup, right where I remember it being.  Perfect!

Raspberry Jelly has been my favorite for as long as I can remember but this marmalade is running a very close second.  Here are my two favorite fruit toppings.  Raspberry Jelly on the left and Blueberry Marmalade on the right.  This was delicious but truth be told my favorite way to have these toppings is simply on a cracker with peanut butter. Of course you can use these as topping on: toast, pancakes, waffles, bagels, crackers, etc. I do have a Chocolate Raspberry Bars recipe (will post this later) that is to die for which is even better with this seedless jelly.  The only thing missing from this is whipped topping and then maple syrup drizzle!



Blueberry Marmalade

1 large orange or (2 clementines - one sliced, one juiced)
1 large lemon or (1 large lemon plus 1 small lemon juiced)
2 cups water
4 cups blueberries
2 cups sugar
1/8 teas. cinnamon
dash nutmeg

Preparation:

Wash and remove stems from blueberries. I used frozen (not thawed), rinsed them quickly in cold water and checked for stems as I did find some in the bag.

You should use a thin skinned orange or tangerine. Cut the ends from both the orange and lemon.  With a mandolin or by hand, slice the orange and lemon very thinly.  Watch for seeds and remove them.

I like the citrus flavor in this marmalade so i add additional juice of one small lemon and the juice of one clementine.  You don't have to add these additions.  If you add the peel of the extra fruit the flavors may overpower the blueberries.  I also cut the fruit slices in half so that the finished marmalade is not too stringy.

Place the sliced fruit into a large pan with the water.  Cover the pan and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook on high for 10 minutes.  Uncover and reduce heat to medium.  Cook for an additional 15 minutes.

Add blueberries, sugar, cinnamon and dash of nutmeg (one shake, no more).  Return the marmalade to a boil, and continue cooking for an additional 20 minutes uncovered.

Place a small amount of marmalade on a small dish and put it in the freezer for 5 minutes, check the consistency, if it is not runny remove from heat and jar it.  If it is runny cook for an additional 5 minutes.  The marmalade will thicken as it cools.

Ladle into hot sterilized jars, wipe rims with a damp paper towel, attach lids, rings and process in boiling water bath for 5 minutes.  Remove jars and allow to cool.

FYI- I was watching Channel 8 New at Noon today and they mentioned:  1 cup of blueberries a day reduces High Blood Pressure and increases blood vessel elasticity.

PLEASE NOTE: I am not saying you should eat a cup of blueberry Marmalade every day :)!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home