My Photo
Name:
Location: Western, New York, United States

I spend most of my free time gardening, reading garden magazines, photographing the garden or baking (mostly sweets, which list chocolate as the main ingredient). I play the guitar and sing in a contemporary choir of which I have been a member for 26 years.

Thursday, January 03, 2008

African Violet Transplantation


While I was in the hospital after the kidney donation my dad brought me this beautiful dish garden. The African Violet is growing quickly and smothering the other plants. I have been wanting to transplant it but thought it might not be a good idea while it is flowering. So I was planning to wait but today, Thursday (my scheduled watering day) I couldn't take it anymore so I went ahead and performed the transplant.

So here we are with before and after pictures. I tip my hat to the florist who's selections created a wonderful arrangement. I love the porcelain dish as well.










I also cut back one of my geraniums and now have 7 cuttings to root. I don't usually have very good luck with this but last year I accidentally forgot about a few cuttings and realized it a day or two later. I put them in dirt anyway and low and behold they rooted so that is what I am going to do this time around. In the past I have had 3 dozen cuttings and am lucky if I end up with 6 plants. I think I have stumbled onto the secret. I was told to let the cut end dry but I didn't think it was overnight. Consequently, the majority would just die. So hopefully I will be more successful this year. I am planning to put in lots of geraniums (if I am successful) since it has occurred to me that they love sun and drought. At least the ones I have on the deck (and forget to water) are always loaded with blooms. Considering the drought we just went through and the lack of water in this household for 2 months, I am having to take a look at my gardens and perhaps get rid of some of those plants that need pampering. A rain barrel is definitely in the future for the back garden. Geraniums like Marigolds might be the typical gardeners choice but you can't beat them for hardiness and color throughout the summer and fall.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

looks lovely. good job. keep us posted. i also wonder if you can do something with violets that have long stems but the oldest leaves brown and fall off. not an especially attractice plant. i wonder if i can cut the stem and try to root it again....or simply throw it out like i did the last time :(
mar

9:01 PM  
Blogger Pati said...

Oh Queen of all root cutting successes . . . I have heard you can root a leaf from an African Violet by placing it in a mix of...well, I think it was perlite and peat moss. What do you have to lose...a leaf? Go ahead...be adventurous!!!

10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have seen that process. but why be normal? i wanted to try something different :)
mar

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home