My Photo
Name:
Location: Western, New York, United States

I spend most of my free time gardening, reading garden magazines, photographing the garden or baking (mostly sweets, which list chocolate as the main ingredient). I play the guitar and sing in a contemporary choir of which I have been a member for 26 years.

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Stargazer Lilies


This past Easter my dad brought his friend Dot over for our family dinner. She very thoughtfully brought the centerpiece for the table which was a single stargazer lily. It had a few open blooms, several buds and filled the air with fragrance. This was a new flower to me and I really enjoyed having it. I asked her if they would grow in our zone and she said she didn't know so I dug out a catalogue or two and checked it out. Later that week I went shopping at a local garden center and bought some. Dot said if I found any, she wanted some too. So I bought 4 bulbs for her and 4 for me. I didn't get to planting them until. . . I think it was May. Here are the first blooms in all their glory. I bent to smell them but didn't notice much scent and thought: where's the scent! I don't smell anything! As I walked further, there it was permeating the rest of the garden. I found it odd that I couldn't smell it up close but was very satisfied with their performance. Thank you Dot for bringing such beauty to my garden in a delightfully, thoughtful way and for the entertainment it provided through socializing, competition and just the sheer pleasure of watching them grow :).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home