My Photo
Name:
Location: Western, New York, United States

I spend most of my free time gardening, reading garden magazines, photographing the garden or baking (mostly sweets, which list chocolate as the main ingredient). I play the guitar and sing in a contemporary choir of which I have been a member for 26 years.

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Chocolate Raspberry Torte

I made this torte for someone at work so wasn't able to take a picture of a single piece but I can tell you it is delicious.

BROWNIE:
1 - 19.8 oz. pkg. brownie mix prepared according to package directions.

Heat oven to 350. Grease bottom and sides of 9" pie plate or springform pan. Spread batter into pan and bake for 40 minutes. If using springform pan run knife around sides to loosen and remove sides. Cool completely.

FILLING:
1 pkg. frozen raspberries in syrup
1 Tbs. sugar
1 Tbs. cornstarch
1 cup fresh raspberries

Place thawed raspberries in syrup in blender container or food processor bowl with metal blade. Cover and process until pureed. Strain to remove seeds. In small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Gradually add raspberry puree; mix well. Bring to a boil; cook until mixture is clear stirring constantly. Cool 5 minutes. Spread over brownie layer to within 1/2 inch of edges. Arrange 1 cup fresh raspberries evenly over raspberry mixture saving a few for garnishing later; refrigerate.

TOPPING:
1 - 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese softened
1/3 cup powdered sugar
2 Tbs. white cream de cocoa
1 cup white chocolate chips melted
1 cup heavy cream, whipped

In medium bowl, combine cream cheese, powdered sugar and cream de cocoa; beat until smooth. Add melted chips; beat until smooth. Fold in whipped cream. Cover and refrigerate for 45 minutes.

Stir topping mixture until smooth. Spread over raspberries. Garnish and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until firm. Store in refrigerator.

NOTES: I have made this according to these directions and this torte was wonderful. I have also made substitutions that come out with pretty good results.

1. White chocolate chips don't melt very easily. I added a Tbs. of half & half to help in the melting process but I didn't add the cream de cocoa. I will try adding cream de cocoa to the white chocolate next time instead of the half & half since adding both may result in a less than firm pie.
2. I used 1/3 less fat cream cheese.
3. I used Fat Free whipped topping
4. I used seedless raspberry jam adding a Tbs. water and heating it to eliminate the "Jelly" factor.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home