My Photo
Name:
Location: Western, New York, United States

I spend most of my free time gardening, reading garden magazines, photographing the garden or baking (mostly sweets, which list chocolate as the main ingredient). I play the guitar and sing in a contemporary choir of which I have been a member for 26 years.

Thursday, October 19, 2006

A Walk in the Woods












A wonderful autumn day for a walk in the woods. I started this walk because there was a lot of commotion going on with the birds. I wondered what all the fuss was about so headed out to see what I could see. I video taped the sound of the birds but it appears that blogger is unable to upload videos, at least not on this website. So unfortunately you get no sound, no annoying bird racket :). It wasn't really annoying, it was actually very interesting though I never found out what all the fuss was about. But here are a few pictures of the trails and where we have our Fright Night. We haunt the trails (well...we try), hang lights and have some props too. There is a bonfire near the tepee which is the final destination. Hot mulled cider, hot cocoa, tea, lots of baked goods and of course candy are all waiting for everyone upon their arrival. Some of the kids wear costumes and some do not. We have a spooky time.
These forest friend pictures are especially for Danielle who wants to go hiking to find snakes, frogs, toads, whatever. We went hiking once and didn't see anything.

Next time I'll have to plant some things along the way to scare her with :-))). I called her to go hiking today but she was not available.
Just before entering the woods I knelt down between some trees to take a picture and just happened to capture a squirel coming down the trail. You can see him right and center of the first picture. I stayed very still and watched. He would stop, then trott along again , stop and trott again, going on his merry way . . . until he saw me, then he made a beeline for the woods. :)
I saw the chipmunk while sitting and enjoying my surroundings so I zoomed in and got these pictures. Once he realized I was there he scurried away into the rock pile but I kept looking for him and that is when he reappeared on top of the boulder. He just stayed there starring at me. He is looking pretty ferocious don't you think? I mean, this is not a friendly face. :) Yikes!

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems like you had a wonderful walk in the woods WITHOUT me! We'll have to try to go hking again sometime before it gets really nasty outside. I'll let you know how your scare tactics workout... :) I'm sure you'll have nothing on that "freaky" little man who hides before the pillar!!!

7:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The "freaky" little man who hides BEHIND the pillar!

7:24 PM  
Blogger Pati said...

You may have typed "before" but I read "behind" the first time around. If you didn't correct that I probably never would have noticed :-). Guess my subconscious new what you said before it was read. We can try the HIKING thing any time you want. I'm always up for a good scare :). I'm not sure there are any UNnasty days left. It is very muddy back there in the woods with all this rain and there is more to come over the next 3 days.

5:57 PM  
Blogger Pati said...

Be adventurous Yellie! We can go in rain or we can go in snow. We can go to and we can go fro. We can wear gloves and we can wear hats. We can see cats and we can see bats. We can wear coats and we can wear boots. We can climb on rocks and we can climb on roots. We can do all these things you see... so when you are ready, you just call me.

6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What lovely poetry girls... It "WOULD BE" the best I've ever heard!! :) (Get it Pati? HAHA!)

1:30 PM  
Blogger Pati said...

I would not could not call it a joke. I would not could not continue to poke.
I would not could not say it wrong. I would not could not you ding-dong! :) I do not do those things you see... For I am the one they call Pati!!!

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mrs. Suess, your poetry is funny. Too bad our days can't be more sunny. You're clever, creative and ever so quick. Who took my glasses, wasn't it Rick???

So Dear Mrs. Suess, if I may say, you're poetry gets better each and everyday!

5:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YEAH GIRL!!!

5:52 PM  
Blogger Pati said...

I'll bet someone clever, someone smart as a whip, found out who it was with just one little tip. We know who it was that returned them to you, for little Yellie's pouting would never never do.

11:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You may have been clever, you may have been smart, but being a "detective" is your true art. Though a detective, you are classic and regal, but that doesn't stop you from doing things illegal :) Your detective skills are good, but your singing is better, that's why you will be my friend FOREVER!!!

We should quit our day jobs and write children's books or something... :)

10:22 AM  
Blogger Pati said...

Oh yes you are right, we have gone much to far, we must stop all this nonsense lest we end up in a bar.

In a bar don't you see we can do all these things. All these things we can do, in a bar, me and you.

We can drink, we can eat, we can dance on our feet. We can slip, we can slide, we can twist we can chide. Oh what fun it will be when we're out you and me. :)

7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home