My Photo
Name:
Location: Western, New York, United States

I spend most of my free time gardening, reading garden magazines, photographing the garden or baking (mostly sweets, which list chocolate as the main ingredient). I play the guitar and sing in a contemporary choir of which I have been a member for 26 years.

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Corkscrew Vine

Last spring I planted some seeds for this Corkscrew Vine that a friend of mine gave me. I got one vine out of them and it grew but never flowered so I dug it up and brought it inside. I had it growing on an obelisk so I brought the whole thing in. I didn't cut it back until all the leaves started wilting. Guess it went into shock. Anyway, I cut it back and eventually it started growing some new shoots. When I was decorating for Christmas I wrapped some lights around the obelisk (mistake) cuz now the vine is winding itself around the string of lights. Now What! I think I'm going to have to cut this back in spring but in the mean time I guess I'm keeping the lights hanging. Or should I be cutting it back now so it could possibly produce more runners by spring time? Any opinions or suggestions? Has anyone grown this vine and had success getting it to flower? It would be nice to say I was successful for once.
I've got the Geraniums I took cuttings of last week planted. They are not looking all that great. I forgot about them and planted them two days later :). Forgetting...the story of my life!!! Do you think they will survive? Time will tell. I still stuck them in rooting powder and planted them.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

2 vines that i know of come to mind. my mom's got a clematis that's probably 30 years old. she cuts that pretty much down to the ground every year, maybe to 8-10" actually. it's on the south side of the house. that vine grows about 10-12 feet every summer. happy and healty and it flowers like crazy. it's beautiful. and grapes too. they cut most of the previous years growth off every year, no? and they keep bearing fruit. try that - cut it!! be brave :)
mar

10:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your best bet is to cut it back and put the lights away. Good Luck with the flowering.
Sam

10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home