My Photo
Name:
Location: Western, New York, United States

I spend most of my free time gardening, reading garden magazines, photographing the garden or baking (mostly sweets, which list chocolate as the main ingredient). I play the guitar and sing in a contemporary choir of which I have been a member for 26 years.

Monday, January 26, 2009

Citrus Salad

Okay, I know I said to stay tuned for Cherry Almond Scones but I found this Fruit Salad recipe in the most recent Better Homes and Gardens magazine and had to try it. Consequently when I went shopping to buy the fruit for the salad I forgot to pick up a fresh lemon for the scones. Yup, I was standing right next to them but I was so focused on the fruit salad ingredients that I forgot about the lemon. So here it is. The picture is not the greatest. When it comes to taking food pictures my talents fall short. However, no matter what the picture, you will not want to miss this recipe, in fact you will not be able to get enough of it.


Citrus Salad

1 lime
2 tablespoons Honey
2 oranges
2 tangerines
2 ruby red grapefruit
2-3 tablespoons coconut
2-3 tablespoons pecans, walnuts or peanuts
pineapple slices
mint leaves

Stir together the juice of 1 lime and 2 tablespoons honey, set aside.

Note: If it doesn't mix easily, heat in the microwave for 15 seconds to soften honey slightly.

Prepare oranges, tangerines and grapefruits into bite size pieces and place into bowl add 4-5 mint leaves and drizzle with lime/honey juice. Refrigerate.

Toast 2-3 tablespoons of coconut (bake in oven at 350 for about 10 minutes or until golden), cool before serving.

To assemble, place one pineapple slice on plate, spoon fruit over top sprinkle with coconut and your choice of nuts. Garnish with lime peel and serve.

I did not use pineapple because they didn't have pineapple slices at the store I was in at the time. I am however planning to make this again in the next day or two and will then try the pineapple but this time I'll be leaving out the grapefruit since Dave cannot have grapefruit, it will cause problems with some of his meds. Also, I used toasted pecans because I like the nutty flavor.

Trust me, you are going to love this!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Baloney!! Give me good ole home made chocholate chip cookies any day!! :-) Good grief! What's next? Pie ? UGH! :-)) Cookies, Cookies, Cookies, Chocholate Chip!! Nuff said!! :-)))

6:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i want the scone recipe.... :( :(
citrus salad in winter????? lol

8:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

geesch -- the natives are restless. this sounds delish any time. aah -- let 'em eat cake!
mar

2:45 PM  
Blogger Pati said...

Whiners! Putting on 10 pounds after Christmas calls for drastic measures. So any fruit salad is a bonus. Cookies are out, out, out! We had enough of them for 2 months, didn't you?
Cookies-fattening, UGH! :)
Fruit yum! Try it you'll like it.

When the 10 pounds is gone then we eat cookies. :-))) Until then it's fruit and scones because you know the scones are so much less fattening HA!!!!!!

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home