My Photo
Name:
Location: Western, New York, United States

I spend most of my free time gardening, reading garden magazines, photographing the garden or baking (mostly sweets, which list chocolate as the main ingredient). I play the guitar and sing in a contemporary choir of which I have been a member for 26 years.

Monday, June 09, 2008

Garden Glamour!

Well, as you can see I have not changed or even attempted to change my most recent pic. But that is not what this post is all about. That will be for another time. I will get to that some time. I have only done a little on the patio I am working on. I am liking the way it is turning out. There have been many things that I have put off and they finally needed attention. However I am hoping to work on that this coming weekend.

Actually, the weather hasn't helped. I can't take the heat, sun and mosquitoes any more. I didn't put on sun screen on Friday and was out for a few hours. Didn't realize I was burnt until I came in and cleaned up. Drank a gallon of water and was a complete vegetable the rest of the night...the next day too actually :). Yikes, won't do that one again. AND I have so many bites they have been keeping me up at night. So I definitely need a break from outside. Plus with all this heat watering is a necessity so I am forced to be out to do that and those mosquitoes just don't let up, neither do the black flies. Good God...what were you thinking?!?

Anyway, I was walking through the garden after work...quickly, since the sun, heat and mosquitoes are getting to me and I noticed that I have some buds growing on my Amaryllis bulbs. Yes, I have them planted in the garden. Remember last year I went crazy buying those bulbs because they were reduced. I have a difficult time resisting a sale. :) Anyway, I had to many to pot up in the house so I saved them for spring and put them outside. I have twelve in the ground and one in a pot on the deck. So far, there are two with buds on them. I am so excited. I was thinking I wasn't going to get any flowers cuz my experience has been that when I bring them up from the basement the bud is already there and waiting to be planted and watered. But this year there was no growth of any kind....not even those precious buds. this is very exciting. Can't wait for these flowers. Tee Hee!!!

Here is the second one and a close up of it. Remember you can click on the pictures to enlarge.

Also I purchased this bulb called Dragon Arum in the fall of 2006.

In 2007 it grew a few leaves but did nothing impressive. This year it has these spikes on it. Take a look. Again......TEE HEE....I can't wait to see what they are like. I will keep you posted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home