My Photo
Name:
Location: Western, New York, United States

I spend most of my free time gardening, reading garden magazines, photographing the garden or baking (mostly sweets, which list chocolate as the main ingredient). I play the guitar and sing in a contemporary choir of which I have been a member for 26 years.

Friday, February 23, 2007

The Gran Cru


I have been waiting to post a picture of the Gran Cru in full bloom but the second flower stalk seems to be taking its sweet time and I fear the first stalk will soon wither before the second opens so here is the first stalk in bloom. The second will be open in a few days...I think. The other picture is of Giant Calla Lilies that I purchased before Christmas. I gave each of my sisters a set of 3 bulbs along with pot and soil. These giant Calla Lilies are the variety my mom had in her bridal bouquet. We all (us girls) love these flowers so I thought it would be enjoyable to try our hand at growing them. I have tried growing calla's in pots before but have been unsuccessful at getting them to bloom after the first year. So last year I took all my bulbs and planted them in the garden and they blooms beautifully. In New York you have to lift the for the winter so I dug them up in the fall to find some very healthy extra large bulbs. I have them stored in the basement and check on them occasionally to be sure they are okay...and they are doing just fine. They are also white. They were supposed to be white and purple but over the years of just growing leaves I must have lost the purple ones. :(. Any one have some they would like to trade for some white ones. At any rate I am hoping to have luck with the Large Calla's. If they don't bloom in the pot, I'll be putting them in the ground come summer time. Actually, I may just do that anyway since I've seen what a difference it makes in the bulb and bloom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home