My Photo
Name:
Location: Western, New York, United States

I spend most of my free time gardening, reading garden magazines, photographing the garden or baking (mostly sweets, which list chocolate as the main ingredient). I play the guitar and sing in a contemporary choir of which I have been a member for 26 years.

Friday, February 02, 2007

Thought for the Day

Last Sundays first reading (the Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, 1:4-5, 17-19) Jeremiah is called by God. If we read 1:6-9 we read of Jeremiah's response, he is hesitant and says he knows not how to speak but God says to him "To whomever I send you, you shall go; whatever I command you, you shall speak. Have no fear before them, because I am with you to deliver you, says the Lord. Then the Lord extended his hand and touched my mouth" (vs 8-9).
In this Sunday's first reading (Fifth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Isaiah 6:1-2a, 3-8) Isaiah speaks of a vision where he sees the Lord and feels he is doomed "Woe is me, I am doomed! For I am a man of unclean lips, living among a people of unclean lips; yet my eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts!"(vs 5). Then one of the seraphim flew to him, holding an ember with tongs from the altar and touched his mouth saying "See, now that this has touched your lips, your wickedness is removed, your sin purged."
In the second reading (1 Corinthians 15:1-11) Paul states that Christ appeared to him (after his death and resurrection) [For I am the least of the apostles, not fit to be called an apostle because I persecuted the church of God. But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me has not been ineffective. Indeed, I have toiled harder than all of them; not I, however, but the grace of God that is with me.] (vs 9-10).
In the Gospel reading (Luke 5:1-11) Jesus tells Simon (Peter) to take his fishing boat our into deep water and lower the nets. Peter says "Master, we have worked hard all night and have caught nothing, but at your command I will lower the nets." When they had done this, they caught a great number of fish and their nets were tearing. They called to their partners to come and help. Their boats were so full they were in danger of sinking. When Simon Peter saw this, he fell at the knees of Jesus and said, "Depart from me, Lord, for I am a sinful man."

Jeremiah, Isaiah, Paul, and Simon Peter all feel unworthy but yet are made worthy (as Paul proclaims) by the grace of God. How many of us feel the same?


B E L I E V E

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i try .... to believe... :)

4:48 PM  
Blogger Pati said...

To believe is to have faith. How do we define faith? Faith is to believe in something that is not tangible. If it were, it wouldn't be faith. We all struggle with this at times. So you are not alone.
Happy moments, praise God.
Difficult moments, seek God.
Quiet moments, worship God.
Painful moments, trust God.
Every moment, thank God.

11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home