My Photo
Name:
Location: Western, New York, United States

I spend most of my free time gardening, reading garden magazines, photographing the garden or baking (mostly sweets, which list chocolate as the main ingredient). I play the guitar and sing in a contemporary choir of which I have been a member for 26 years.

Saturday, July 21, 2007

DID YOU KNOW THIS?

Personal hygiene left much room for improvement. As a result, many women and men had developed acne scars by adulthood. The women would spread bee's wax over their facial skin to smooth out their complexions. When they were speaking to each other, if a woman began to stare at another woman's face she was told, "mind your own bee's wax." Should the woman smile, the wax would crack, hence the term "crack a smile." In addition, when they sat too close to the fire, the wax would melt . . . therefore, the expression losing face."

1 Comments:

Blogger renal recipient network said...

Nice Website! Please check out my website devoted to organ donation and transplantation topics and ideas.

www.renalrecipientnetwork.blogspot.com

Let me know what you think and pass the link on to as many people as you can. There over 72,000 people on the kidney list right now, and not enough donors... thanks, Dave

4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home