My Photo
Name:
Location: Western, New York, United States

I spend most of my free time gardening, reading garden magazines, photographing the garden or baking (mostly sweets, which list chocolate as the main ingredient). I play the guitar and sing in a contemporary choir of which I have been a member for 26 years.

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Garden Pictures

Since the weekend before the 4th we have been very busy. We had a wedding the weekend before (June 30) then our family picnic on July 1, then July 3rd a picnic at Pat and Owen's cottage on Conesus Lake then we had another picnic on the 4th at my cousin Laurie and Don's cottage but the kids were home that weekend and we had to take Andrew to the airport at 3:00 on the 4th. Since we didn't get home from the airport until about 4:00 it seemed a little to late to head off to the picnic so we ended up staying home. It seems like one thing after another. We have been to 2 weddings so far this summer, have one today and another in August. I don't know, I just can't keep up. I'd like to say I have been spending a lot of my time attending to Matt but that would be an untruth :). Guess I'm just getting slower...which is not good since I have always been a little on the slow side.
Here are some pic's of the new garden which I have named "Memories". My originally thought was a garden in memory of my mom and so Memories is dedicated to my mom but I have also incorporated many plants, garden art and ideas that came from trips I've taken, inspiration of others and ideas generated from observations. My sister Carol and I went to a Garden Tour where I was introduced to this perennial bulb, Lucifer. So added that to remind me of our tour. It is so bright and colorful, it really stands out in the garden. My mom loved calla lilies. Large white ones made up her bridal bouquet. These are a smaller flower than what she had however, I did purchase some bulbs that should produce larger blooms though I don't have any flowers on them right now.


Here is an update on the flat rock area I'm working on. I have decided to fill in with sand...I think. I keep changing my mind. I also need lot's more rocks and am not very successful at finding them thin enough. I have been splitting some with a masons chisel but it is difficult, tiring and time consuming work. My first pumpkin in years. I always have a problem with squash vine borers and this year is not different. I did notice signs of them in this vine but got it in early enough to produce at least one pumpkin. :). Don't know why I bother really, it takes up lot's of garden space where I could be planting something eatable. AND this year I have been faithful at dusting this pumpkin vine once a week and also after rain. I don't really like to do that but I have tried everything possible to get rid of these things. Nothing works! I thought...I haven't tried dusting faithfully so I thought I would try that. Guess next year I will use the space more efficiently.

Here are just a couple more pic's of the garden on the east side of the yard. Bee Balm with it's interesting flower head and the morning glories are taking their sweet time to fill in this trellis. That is it for now. Everyone have a wonderful day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home