My Photo
Name:
Location: Western, New York, United States

I spend most of my free time gardening, reading garden magazines, photographing the garden or baking (mostly sweets, which list chocolate as the main ingredient). I play the guitar and sing in a contemporary choir of which I have been a member for 26 years.

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Cape Cod etc.

Well, we had a wonderful time in Cape Cod with Dave's cousin Barbara and her husband John. About half way to the Cape I realized I forgot my camera so I have no pictures :(. Believe it or not, John had never heard of Freecell so I checked out his laptop to see if he had it. It was there but not in the "GAMES" file. He is now OBSESSED :)! It was chilly and damp, rainy at times and sunny at times. We did a little walking on the beach and then some walking in the town of Wellfleet. We ate out a lot and ate plenty of seafood. Barbara bought whole lobsters for our last dinner there. YUP we each had our own lobster. That was a first for me...delicious.

There was a wood burning stove in our cabin so we stopped to buy some firewood to have a nice warm cozy fire since it was chilly. I did spend some time gathering stones off the beach. I was kind of surprised there were very few shells. However, the stones were beautiful so of course I gathered up a bunch of them brainstorming as I gathered as to what I would be doing with them. I also found a beautiful flat stone that I brought home to add to my stepping stone garden collection.

I am in the process of digging, labeling and storing all my tender bulbs (calla lilies, dahlia's, and canna's). I have decided to dig up my geraniums this year and replant them in the spring....that is if they survive the winter. I read in my Garden Gate magazine that you should dig them, shake all the dirt off them, place them in a shady spot to dry and then store them upside down in a box. I am a little leery of that idea...upside down? The roots are up in the air getting dried out. It doesn't sound right to me so I am going to do some that way and then some my way which is in the box with some peat moss covering the roots. I have never done this before so we shall see if one way works better than another. Anyone have any experience with storing their geraniums? Any advice? I decided that geraniums hold up GREAT in a drought so I will be sure they are plentiful in my garden next year.

FYI - We are still without water. I was hoping we would have water upon our return from the Cape but....NO! We still have no water. All we can do is make the best of a bad situation. We are going to wait a little longer before we decide on any other action. We can decide to drill the existing well deeper and chance getting sulphur water or rent a huge 1800 gallon tank and have it pumped into the house. We haven't looked into either yet so cost could be the determining factor. For now we are hauling gallon jugs for washing dishes and drinking and catching rain water whenever it rains for flushing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home