My Photo
Name:
Location: Western, New York, United States

I spend most of my free time gardening, reading garden magazines, photographing the garden or baking (mostly sweets, which list chocolate as the main ingredient). I play the guitar and sing in a contemporary choir of which I have been a member for 26 years.

Monday, March 30, 2009

Making Your Own Maple Syrup

Here are the pic's provided by Mary Lou and I'll give you my version of how it is done.

First you tap the trees. How am I doin' so far :)? Then you gather the sap and cook it for hours and hours.
She has this fire pit that she adds wood to constantly day and night until the sap boils down to about a gallon...maybe a little more. Then she brings it inside to complete the cooking process. She strains it and then jars it to give to her friends :). We all got one of these jars of oh so yummy "Pure Maple Syrup". Doesn't that sound simple? Truly it is not, you have to tend the fire all day long and into the evening hours. I think she said it takes 30 gallons of sap to make a gallon of syrup. That is a lot of cooking down.

Thank you Mary Lou for your generosity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home