My Photo
Name:
Location: Western, New York, United States

I spend most of my free time gardening, reading garden magazines, photographing the garden or baking (mostly sweets, which list chocolate as the main ingredient). I play the guitar and sing in a contemporary choir of which I have been a member for 26 years.

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Orchid in Bloom

I say out with winter and in with Spring!!! I purchased this Orchid at the Garden Factory in December. You know, when you are shopping for Christmas gifts and you end up purchasing everything for yourself. :-))). It can't be helped. It is one of the few times I actually shop so....well... I have to get things when I see them right? There are still a few more buds so it is not in full bloom but it will be in just a few days...well perhaps a week.

Of course I am very excited about it since it is my first orchid. I was never really that impressed with them but when I heard they stay in bloom for months I thought it was worth the price for much needed color, hope, signs of spring and witnessing the beginning of a new cycle of life. I love the anticipation of what will be successful this year and what will not? In case I haven't said it previously, I am not a cold weather person. I think the perfect winter should last about 2 months, not get below 25 and have only a few inches of snow. Perhaps I should think of relocating? Anyway I am preparing for spring. I brought up all my potted plants from the basement a few weeks ago. Those are the ones that I stored for the winter in hopes of resurrecting them for the upcoming spring and summer. Some are not doing as well as I hoped and then others are coming along nicely. I occasionally check on my stored bulbs and tubers (Amaryllis, Elephant Ears, Calla's, Dahlia's) to be sure they are not drying out. I am looking forward to moving everything outside and going through the whole growing process once again. Though I have to admit by September I am ready to call it quits. If you think about it, I guess God knew what he was doing giving us the longer winter to rest up for the next year. Isn't that what hibernation is all about? I know it is early, there is still snow on the ground and in the forecast but I wish you all a Happy Spring!!!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's beautiful! and so artistic of you to coordinate your text color :))
mar

8:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh for goodness sake. What is going on in that picture? Is that a cucumber or something growing out of the bottom of the plant? And what is on the wall behind it? Looks like road kill. Man!
And then the little fairies and one with a guitar! What the heck is the world comming to? And then the urn next to the plant....don't even want to ask or even consider what's up or in that!! They say art is subjective but honestly!! It's like 26 days till spring by the way. We're gaining about three minutes a day, isn't that enough? You just had to shop, even though you knew better! And look at the result! But the other person here liked the "what ever that is" so take comfort in that and enjoy the cucumbers in your salad when ever the're ready. Maybe all this will have a silver linning after all. Life is good :-))))))))))))))))

8:13 PM  
Blogger Pati said...

Good Grief! You are so funny :-)))!

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home