My Photo
Name:
Location: Western, New York, United States

I spend most of my free time gardening, reading garden magazines, photographing the garden or baking (mostly sweets, which list chocolate as the main ingredient). I play the guitar and sing in a contemporary choir of which I have been a member for 26 years.

Sunday, March 08, 2009

Spring Is Sprung!

The new job continues to keep me busy however I did make it a point to take a stroll through the gardens to check out what's popping up. This is the Witch hazel I planted in the fall. I'm not sure if this is at it's peak or if it is just opening. Well, I know it is just opening but I don't know if it will look any better. Perhaps! Not the most pleasant flower but it does say "spring". There are lots of buds so I'm guessing there will be much more color soon.

I didn't actually purchase this shrub for it's beautiful flowers, I liked the fall foliage. As it turns, it not only has spectacular color in the fall but attracts butterflies so I am looking forward to this growing season not only to observe all the changes that take place to enjoy them and the flying flowers it invites.
Other happenings in the garden...many things were snipped by deer especially my raspberries. I didn't put the snow fence around them in the fall. I'm pretty sure I'll be sorry for my laziness. This is so irritating. You know, they don't eat it, they just snip it and leave all the remain on the ground. I guess I would be less irritated if they actually ate it but they don't so what the heck are they doing? Other damage from deer: my rhododendron, Oak leaf Hydrangea, mini rose bush and several other shrubs. Lucky I did cover a few things. Remember if you want to see any pic's close up just click on the picture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home