My Photo
Name:
Location: Western, New York, United States

I spend most of my free time gardening, reading garden magazines, photographing the garden or baking (mostly sweets, which list chocolate as the main ingredient). I play the guitar and sing in a contemporary choir of which I have been a member for 26 years.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Dragon Arum Update

Took these pictures on Sunday. The Dragon Arum finally opened, exposing this spear like pistil, one pedal going half way around the pistil and the stench of rotting flesh to go along with it. It is no wonder the flies are all over it. I think Arum means breath in which case I can see where this particular specimen got it's name..."Dragon Breath." :) Truly, it was horrible.

It was almost difficult to be in the garden. However, I got my Blessed Mother with the help of my friend Mary Ann and we improved on the spot I had prepared for her. Not sure I like that spot any more but isn't that the way it always works. I think it is because of the background. I will have to work on that before I move her to an alternate spot.


The stench of the Arum did not last though. It rained Sunday night and washed away all the odor. The flowers are drooping now and I will be cutting them off very soon. So.......the build up of anticipation and lesson in patience gave way to this very short lived, undesirable, unique and unusual but less than satisfying bloom. In actuality, the bloom was very interesting, it is the smell that was . . . inconceivable :)!!! I thank the good Lord it only lasted a day.

Here I am fixing the geraniums I have planted around the Blessed Mother. Those geraniums looked nice with the little angel I had there but the larger statue, they just aren't quite cutting it. Guess I'll have to think about this for a while. In the mean time, here is my garden with my Blessed Mother so far. Her purchase gets me that much closer to attaining my goal for this garden which was a five year plan. This is the third year so I still have two years to complete it. Though the stone patio which I was hoping would be a weekend project has turned into. . . well I hate to admit it, but I fear it will take me the summer to finish. After working on it for so long, i see how long a 3 foot square takes. I am going to do my best to have it done by the end of July but well.... we shall see. Then next year I would like to build an arbor. Then it will be just finishing touches like edging and proper placement of some plants.
A sincere thank you to you Mary Ann for all your help, especially for accompanying me to the Art Show to make this purchase.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home